FLEX YOUR POWER
Flex Your Power
The Flex Your Power program is funded by California utility ratepayers and administered by California Investor-Owned Utilities under the auspices of the California Public Utilities Commission.
In 2007, REDI was one of 17 organizations selected to participate in a statewide campaign to reach out to rural communities with education and materials on how to save energy and to increase energy efficiency in the home. This campaign focuses on rural areas of California. REDI covered all of Mendocino County.
REDI participated in various public events throughout the county during 2007. A variety of materials were distributed to educate and encourage participants to reduce their energy use.
How you can Flex Your Power! You can save energy, save money and protect our environment by practicing these energy-smart habits:
- Use ENERGY STAR® qualified Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs). CFLs use at least 2/3 less energy than standard incandescent bulbs to provide the same amount of light, and last up to 10 times longer.
- Turn off lights in empty rooms and enjoy natural light whenever possible.
- Avoid using major appliances like washers, dryers and dishwashers until after 6 p.m.
- Leave some space between your refrigerator and the surrounding walls and cabinets to allow air to circulate around the coils.
- Seal and caulk leaky windows and doors or replace windows with energy efficient high performance ones.
- Don’t let the water run when you brush your teeth or shave.
- For your bathrooms, hallways or bedrooms consider installing LED night lights equipped with photo sensors to keep them off during the day.
- Check your local utility’s Web site and take a free online energy efficiency survey.
For more ways to save energy go to www.FYPower.org